Monday, May 07, 2007

<;">I had the best time at the Maryland Sheep and Wool Festival. Unfortunately, I don't have my camera to upload my pictures today to my computer but since It has been a while since I blogged(?) ,I thought I better get to it right now rather than wait until I am home this evening to get my pictures on here.

What did I enjoy most about the festival? That is a hard one but the thing that first comes to mind is the community of knitters and crocheters that I felt akin to and connected. I think the second thing I enjoyed and in part because it was so novel, was watching the judging of the sheep. For those of you who have not seen this before, it is like watching a dog show but with sheep. The major impediment for me was that I could not hear a thing because the sheep were all baa-ing. I was really interested in hearing a description of the sheep, how they were judged, etc. but what can I say- sheep got to baa. However, I did meet up with really beautiful sheep in the barns, watched them being sheared, and learned a little about their historys.


I saw, felt, enjoyed some beautiful yarn, too. I loved the yarn from Brooks Farm. Too bad they don't sell it wholesale. I as always was mesmorized by the beautiful colorways and textures from Autumn House. I bought organic cotton from a distributor out of England-name escapes me. There were soooo many vendors and so much to exprience that it was a little overwhelming. Also, I saw many people that I knew from my store which was really fun. I could see that needle felting is very popular so I bought some pencil roving which I will try out. I have never really enjoyed using needles to felt with because they are a little hard on the hand but I think I am going to give it another shot. And, finally I have to say that while there I was having fantasies about becoming a spinner. I saw the most gorgeous wheels there-they were like works of art. I watched the spinners for a long time because there is something so melodious in what they do. It was relaxing to watch them.


Now for my complaints. First, bring your own food. I could not tell you if the food was good or bad because I refused to wait in a line that was over 45 minutes long and most of them were. Second, I had to opt for kettle korn as my appetizer and it was not quite up to snuff. I did enjoy a soft serve as my entree though. Second, do not drink too much liquid because the lines for the indoor bathrooms were huge. I have never been a fan of outhouses because when I was 7 years old I went to use one and I sat on a caterpillar. I am now scarred for life. Third, be prepared to allow plenty of time to park your car. I was told that some people waited for nearly 90 minutes before they got into the parking lot. The lines were huge.


With all that said, I had a blast! I will add my pictures later. I can't wait to show you the world's longest knitting needles. Until then...



Stacey

No comments: